Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Monday October 6th, 2008

I have been meaning to blog about the day Ben was born but have been so busy lately. I know most of you know the crazy story but this is for those who don't.

The day started out with Bill leaving for work early, around 3:00. I woke up & was having contractions & timed them for about 30-45 mintues, they subsided so I went back to sleep. The kids were off from school that day so we were hanging out around the house. I was having contractions on & off all morning but they were very inconsistant. We went down stairs for lunch around 12:20. I realized I had teacher conferences that day & the first one was at 12:45. I jumped in the shower & got ready & made it through the conferences. All the while having contractions. We stopped by the school book fair & went to the Post Office. I had called Bill & told him my contractions were getting worse & maybe he should try to come home. He was an hour & a half away. I got back home around 3:15 & tried to sit down & relax and eat some lunch, thinking my contractions would stop. I thought wrong. They got really intense & were coming at least every 3-5 mintues.

I called my neighbor & dropped the kids off. I drove to the hospital with Bill on the phone. Somehow I managed to park the truck & with Bill talking to me on the phone, walk in to the main desk. This was around 5:00. They took me upstairs & got hooked up to the monitors. The nurse immediately called for the doctor because his heartrate was in the 70's. She checked me & I was complete. I called Bill & he was still about 20 minutes away. I knew he wasn't going to make it. The doctor broke my water & about 5 minutes & one push later Ben was born. The doctor & nurse were telling me not to push but there was no stopping him. He was out & landed on the bed. He was born at 5:20. I was very lucky he was not born in the car!

We ended up having an extended hospital stay because of his jaundice. When they did release us on Thursday night we were only home for one night. He had to go back in the hospital on Friday evening because of his jaundice. We were finally released on Sunday. Ben spent his first week of life in the hospital :(

0 comments: